
I didn't even realize that I was addicted until I was forced to go without....technology. Now, I'm not talking about full-on, hard-core pioneer days here, but that's what makes it so pitiful.
~ About two weeks ago my cell phone was stolen. Okay, I left it at the mall playground, but I realized it very quickly and ran back to get it only a couple of minutes after leaving it and it was already gone. Later, I found out that some honest person (apparently there is still one out there) saw it and tried to get it back to me by calling some of my MyFaves people. He finally left a message on Tim's phone saying that he would leave it at the movie theatre office, presumably since the theatre was near the playground. This person did not make ANY other phone calls, downloads, or anything else that would have cost me money. Then he gave it to someone else, who more predictably was not honest, and I have never seen it since. I was able to suspend the account before anyone else tried to use it, so I'm only out about 20 bucks for an "upgrade" fee. It does weird me out knowing that I had some pictures on there though. I miss my phone. It was a nice phone. Nothing special, but it was thin and fit nicely in my pocket or purse, it also was a flat phone so I couldn't hang up on people accidentally like I always seem to do on a flip phone. The first day I was without it I was almost in a panic over not having it. Like a lifeline that has been cut. I can't call my friends at any random moment. I am coping better now, waiting impatiently for my replacement to arrive. What did I ever do without a cell phone???
~ Tim, being the handy guy that he is, took his truck apart in order to fix a valve or something. I don't know what it is. Tim, being the hard working guy that he is, has not had time to complete the project in over a month now, and therefore has to take the van to work most nights. Some nights he can carpool and at least he's working nights, so there are only a few hours of each day where I would even be able to go anywhere, but just knowing that I can't makes me feel somewhat claustrophobic. I never thought I'd miss the van. How do people ever survive without at least two cars per family? Even more unimaginable, how did they survive without cars at all? They farmed, I guess.
~ Our computer is dying. It won't be long before it joins all of the other piles of electronics in the great motherboard in the sky. I have to admit I have grown to love cable, more than I ever thought possible, for internet access. Light years ahead of DSL and let's not even talk about dial-up! But lately with our computer issues, hitting "enter" has resulted in 20-30-even 45 second wait times for a new page to load. This is a significant difference from fractions of a second. You laugh at me, I know, but try counting to 45 and then tell me just how long it really is. See??? You didn't even try it because you knew how long and boring it would be!
~ Okay, this one is just for laughs. Anyone else got Tivo? Well, DVR, I mean. I still call it Tivo because that was the first one we had, so like BandAids and Kleenex, they will all be called Tivos now. Anyway, one of my favorite things is the instant replay button. You can be watching anything on TV, not recorded, just regular live TV, and if you want to rewind it a few seconds you hit the instant replay. Well, I find myself hitting an imaginary replay button in the car when listening to the radio. It's like second nature now, if I missed something I hit replay and viola, I get a second chance to hear/see it. I find myself wondering when technology will catch up to all my ideas of how to make life convenient. Like, being able to email someone a tv program from my tv. That way I don't have to save all my Alaska recordings until I get around to taping them for Dad. I could just email it to his tv and be done with it. Good idea huh? I am already ahead of the current level of technology. :) I am fretting at being without my conveniences and anxiously awaiting more. Totally addicted.
2 comments:
I am totally hooked on all my gadgets! And I have tried to 'replay' the radio before too! Thanks for a good laugh!
I can totally relate. I lost my phone (Dropped it in the driveway, didn't realize it and ran it over with my car-very sad) and didn't have one for about a week. I honestly almost had a breakdown. What was life like without phones? I don't even remember... Cute post.
Post a Comment