Saturday, September 12, 2009

Phoebe's Enchanted Garden Party

Phoebe turned eight this month and we decided it was a good year to have a "big" party for her. I wanted this year to be special because in our culture the eighth birthday is a milestone year; a milestone which Phoebe does not need to participate in - being baptised. Her innocence keeps her safe from the sorrow of the world but I still wanted to create some special memories on this birthday. Her birthday present was a 15 foot trampoline set up in our newly completed backyard, so the yard became the perfect party location. A friend passed along a website that had fantastically frilly party favors, so the backyard get together became an enchanted garden party inhabited by fairies and knights. A neighborhood friend makes fancy cakes and I commissioned a girly cake and cupcake bouquet from her. Another friend is an amazing cook and together we came up with an appetizing spread, that she offered to prepare almost exclusively, so we basically had a caterer! Jen made tandoori chicken with tzatziki sauce, baja chicken roll ups, spinach dip boule, crudite platter, pizza rolls and pigs in blankets. I added chips and my famous guacamole, my niece Elizabeth made PBJs and cut them into garden shapes with cookie cutters, my friend Amber brought the ever popular Rice Krispie treats and my friend Jessie brought a big bowl of fruit that totally made my dad's day. It was an amazing spread and I'm sad that I didn't think to take a picture of it.
As soon as the kids (21 total!) arrived most headed straight for the trampoline. While waiting for a turn on there (Tim did a great job refereeing the jumping to prevent injuries) others couldn't wait to slip'n'slide. I had some games planned but the kids were staying busy playing on their own so why bother? Eventually the kids meandered towards the food (where the 13! adults had already been happily sampling) and replenished their energy. I had planned to hand out the party favors at the beginning but it actually worked out well to hand them out halfway through, because the slip'n'slide had been retired and the jumping was more organized so we didn't have any broken wings or sword injuries. When I brought out the cake I set it on a kid's table to be in Phoebe's line of sight and a crowd of fairies quickly gathered around it. I couldn't even light the eight candles before someone blew them out again, or reached out to grab one. I eventually got them all lit, continuously, while we sang to Phoebe who loved it. I invited the fairies to help blow them out "on three" and my sister and Tim both cringed in disgust at all the germs that went flying. After cake and cupcakes were consumed some of the kids were begging to see their gift opened. Phoebe received some awfully cute clothes and fun toys. As the guests were leaving they were given one last token to remember the day by; a "magic wand" made from pretzel sticks dipped in chocolate (also made by Jen!). I'm so grateful to have such awesome friends and wonderful family who care enough to give their time and energy to make Phoebe's day extra extra special (not to mention my life so much easier!). It was a wonderful day.




2 comments:

Kelly said...

it looks like a great day. cute pictures and cake too. also, it looks like your backyard is very nice.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a wonderful party! I'm sure you and Tim had your hands full with all of the kiddies. Great to see a pic of your parents...it's been forever since I've seen them!

-Shana